This article was co-authored by Traci Halvorson. Traci Halvorson is a Modeling Agent, Former Model, and the Owner of Halvorson Model Management (HMM) in San Jose, California. HMM is a full-service, licensed talent agency representing over 300 professional models and actors. With over 25 years of experience in the modeling industry, Traci specializes in scouting, managing, advising, and launching modeling careers in the Bay Area. Traci holds a BA in Public Relations & Business Management from San Jose State University and also specializes in Marketing, Image consulting, and is a certified Life-Career Coach.
This article has been viewed 638,545 times.
While inner beauty is extremely important, finding it requires feeling comfortable and not in what other people want you to be, but in your own skin. Being happy with the way you look on the outside will in turn make you feel more radiant on the inside. Read this article to learn how to improve your overall appearance so that you will feel more confident and attractive on a daily basis!
Part 1Part 1 of 3:Looking Your Best
- 1Find the right hairstyle or hair color for you. Not everybody can pull off bangs or bleach blonde hair. It might require some experimentation, and years of trial-and-error to find your ideal hairstyle.
- Choose a hair color that is within one or two shades of your natural color so that it is easy to maintain, and won't look ridiculous once your roots grow in. If you want to go lighter, consider adding subtle highlights rather than a new overall color.
- Take your face shape into account when finding the right haircut. The idea is to play up your natural features and avoid exaggerating the face shape. Consider the following hairstyle suggestions: Women with round faces look good with asymmetrical hairstyles with a side part.XResearch source Women with square faces should try angled bobs, long or medium-length layered cuts, or side-swept bangs. XResearch sourceWomen with long, thin faces look good with short or medium-length hair with subtle waves, and should avoid getting blunt, straight-across bangs.XResearch source Those with oval or heart-shaped faces can pull of pretty much any hairstyle (lucky them). The key is to experiment!
- 2Maintain your personal hygiene. Not only will this improve your overall appearance, it will help prevent the development and spread of infections and other illnesses. XResearch source
- Brush your teeth every morning and evening. This will help keep your teeth white, leave you with fresh breath, and most importantly, keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Shower every day, even if you don't want to wash your hair. If you don't have time to shower, be sure to at least rinse your face and underarms with a washcloth and soap.
- Shave, tweeze, wax and/or pluck when necessary. If you're going for a "natural" or "rugged" look, that's fine too, but do it consciously, not out of laziness.
- 3Tackle skincare problems. Feeling confident about your skin is key, because it is the first thing everybody sees when they look at you. If you are worried about blemishes, scars, or sunspots, then talk to your dermatologist to find the appropriate treatment options. There are various creams and ointments out there to help fade dark spots or scars.
- Wear sunscreen or a hat if you plan on being out in the sun for an extended period of time. This will prevent sunburns and dark spots, and even more importantly, will protect your skin from the harmful effects of sun exposure.
- Drink water. Staying hydrated keeps your skin looking healthy and radiant, and gives you the energy you need to stay healthy.
- 4Get in shape. This doesn't necessarily mean losing weight; it means whatever you want it to mean. If you would like to drop a few pounds, then reduce your caloric intake and incorporate cardio exercises into your daily routine. If you want to gain muscle, then do resistance training and be sure to eat a protein-rich diet.
- Eat fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins. These foods are rich in the vitamins and nutrients your body needs, and will keep your body looking and feeling great.
- Watch out for extra sugars. Be sure to read food labels and beware of extra sugars that are added to dressings, breads, and sauces.
- Cut down on alcohol. Not only will this improve your skin by preventing dehydration, it will save you from consuming unnecessary calories.
- Join a gym or find an exercise buddy. Exercising with others will help keep you motivated.
- 5Dress appropriately for your body type. Regardless of the occasion or what's "in" at the moment, looking your best means wearing clothes that look good on you. Trends come and go, and not all of them are figure-flattering.
- Show off your best assets, and cover up your worst ones. For example, if you have an hourglass figure, wear form-fitting dresses that show off your curves and avoid bulky or boxy clothes.
- Ignore the size on the label. Many women go out of their way to squeeze into a pair of jeans that are too small for them out of fear of "going up a size." In reality, how you look in the clothes matters more than the number on the tag. Plus, nobody needs to know what size your pants are!
Part 2Part 2 of 3:Attracting Others
- 2Make yourself look approachable. If you want to attract others, you will have to put yourself out there. Try not to cross your arms, avoid eye contact or stand in the corner of the room. These are signs that you don't want to be bothered.
- 3Be confident.XExpert SourceTraci Halvorson
Modeling AgentExpert Interview. 28 May 2021. Even supermodels have insecurities. The key is to have a sense of humor about your imperfections, and not let them drag you down. Even if you don't believe it, get in the habit of telling yourself you are beautiful, and that you look great. Eventually, you will trick yourself into genuinely believing it.
- 4Have a sense of humor. Everybody wants to be around people who make them laugh. This doesn't necessarily mean cracking jokes every five minutes; even having the ability to laugh at other peoples' jokes shows that you are a happy, fun-loving person.
Part 3Part 3 of 3:Mastering Beauty Tips
- 1Find the right foundation. If your skin is on the shinier side, choose a makeup with a matte finish, or use a powder. If your skin tends to be dry, choose a liquid foundation.
- When testing foundation colors, be sure that you are in a well-lit area, using natural light if possible. Test a few different colors on your jawline, gently rubbing the foundation in. Use a hand mirror to determine which color is best. The perfect color should blend evenly into your skin so that you can no longer see it.
- Ask an associate at the makeup counter to help match you with the right color if you are having trouble doing it yourself.
- 2Use a concealer on problem areas. Having an even complexion will make you look younger and more attractive. Examples of problem areas include dark under-eye rings, blemishes, scars, and/or dark spots.
- Your concealer should be a shade or two lighter than your overall foundation, and of a thicker consistency.
- 3Find a subtle, everyday makeup routine. The key is to enhance your beauty without looking as though you've piled on makeup. Choose a routine that only takes a few minutes so that you can do it everyday. Use the following guidelines to achieve a natural, radiant face:
- Moisturize your skin. This will help set the makeup and remove any dryness.
- Apply overall foundation and concealer, if necessary.
- Wear mascara. Even if you wear no other makeup, a touch of mascara will instantly enhance your eyes and make you look more feminine.
- Add some pink. Shades of pink match all skin tones, since we all have a little natural pink in our skin. Applying a subtle blush to your cheeks will give you a warm, sun-kissed glow.
- Apply a subtle lip color. Choose a color that is one to two shades deeper than your natural lip color.
- QuestionI am 15 and my boyfriend dumped me because he said that I should change myself, should I?Community AnswerNo. Unless your boyfriend was pointing out behavior that is demonstrably wrong, i.e, telling you to stop hurting people, gossiping, bullying, etc., he has no right to ask you to change. Let him go and find someone who appreciates you for who you are.
- QuestionMy best friend is so pretty, and I look stupid next to her. How can I fix that without a ton of makeup?Community AnswerYou don't need to fix anything. So what if she is prettier? That doesn't mean you are ugly. You can put on a little makeup, but don't change yourself.
- QuestionHow do I get noticed by a guy I like, when my parents are super strict about me wearing no makeup to make myself prettier?Community AnswerTry to casually strike up a conversation with him. Or become friends with his friends so you both end up hanging out in the same group. He'll notice someone new to the group. Also, try to find out what his interests are to see if you two have some things in common.
- QuestionI am 11 years old and I'm going into 6th grade. How do I get a boy to like me if I am unattractive?Community AnswerHonestly, just try to make friends with him. Try to maybe find out what he likes. Just be yourself.
- QuestionI'm 13, and this guy and I are best friends and I can't tell if he's flirting with me or not. How do I make myself more attractive to him?Community AnswerJust be yourself and show him that you're open all the time. If he likes you, then he'll come to you.
- QuestionI'm only 13, and I want to attract a boy. What are some other things I can try?Community AnswerTry make yourself stand out, but not too much. You can wear make up, try a new hair style, keep your skin healthy, and hang out with people he is also friends with.
- QuestionI just feel my lack of confidence due to my appearance. I wear expensive clothes but my face has a bit of acne, what can I do?Community AnswerIf a guy likes you, he will not care if you have acne. Your acne will clear up eventually. It's who you are as a person that matters most.
- QuestionI am 18 and my boyfriend left me for another girl because she is more attractive. Should I change myself?Community AnswerNo.
- QuestionHow can I make some girl jealous?Community AnswerDepending on who you and the girl are attracted to, just act like it doesn't bother you, and be happy and carefree. Try to flaunt your qualities, but be subtle.
- QuestionThe guy I like is friends with a lot of girls. How do I get him to notice me? I want to stand out.Community AnswerMake sure to spend time with him and let him get to know you. Let him know you as a really good friend. Then when you are going through something hard he will want to help you. Even if he doesn't like you romantically, you will have gained a really good friend. Getting him to know you could lead to a romantic relationship in time.
- ↑Traci Halvorson. Modeling Agent. Expert Interview. 28 May 2021.
- ↑Traci Halvorson. Modeling Agent. Expert Interview. 28 May 2021.
About This Article
To make yourself more attractive, remember that nothing is more attractive than confidence, so start by creating a personal care routine that makes you feel great. Begin each day by showering and moisturizing, then spend a few minutes styling your hair or applying some makeup. Then, when you’re picking out an outfit, opt for clothes that fit comfortably, rather than clothes in the size you wish you could fit into. During the day, drink plenty of water, since hydration is great for your skin and can make you feel energized. For advice on finding a hairstyle that makes you feel attractive and confident, read on!